New to Meducation?
Already signed up? Log In
A board by taran

ed

dunno
74 items · Last updated Sunday 15th January 2017
Preview

Back Pain

A short presentation looking at the epidemiology, pathology and treatment of back pain.  
James Harper
over 11 years ago
Preview

Shoulder Dislocations

Shoulder Dislocations Ben Savage  
Dr Ben Savage
almost 11 years ago
Preview

OSCE Examination Guide

Concise but comprehensive guides to the 17 most important clinical examinations. These notes are very useful for OSCE revision, but also more generally for work on the wards.  
Tom Stoker
over 9 years ago
Preview

Anatomy Revision of the Upper Limb, Lower Limb & Back

An anatomy revision guide, focused upon the upper limb, lower limb & back. Originally created in 2009 as a study aid for students at Cardiff University School of Medicine, it was substantially updated in 2010, and this Second Edition contains more detailed chapters, particularly with respect to musculature, cross-sections & relevant clinical anatomy. Further information can be found under the Preface & Introduction.  
Nima Razii
over 9 years ago
Preview 300x212

Antibiotics Summary

During our antibiotics teaching at medical school we were told that a recent survey of junior doctors had revealed that a significant proportion didn't realise that augmentin, tazocin, and carbopenems were penicillins and as such should not be given to those with known allergies. I devised a "mind-map" summarising the main antibiotics in use using information from the BNF and my own lecture notes. For me, seeing the information laid out in this manner, pinned above my desk as I work, helps me remember the major classes, their relationships with one another, and their major side-effects.  
bethan goulden
over 9 years ago
Preview

detailed first and second year OSCE stations

Clinical Skills Resuscitation station  Assess danger of situation. Approach.  “Rouse”. Assessment of consciousness. Gently shake shoulders. Use pain e.g sque…  
Gemma McIntosh
over 9 years ago
Preview

Bus Bites- Cardiac Arrhythmias

This is one of a series of podcasts which I made with bus journey's in mind. They last no longer than 12minutes and deal with 'traditionally difficult' topics in a 'bite-sized' manner suitable for revision. They are short, sweet and designed to help the busy medical student save time and fit their revision in around their crazy lifestyles! They are animated powerpoint slides with an audio voice over.  
Charlotte Alisa Clifford
about 9 years ago
Img 000

The handy guide to anaemia

The handy guide comprises a series of 5 short videos explaining different aspects of anaemia. The videos show my hands displaying cardboard cut outs of pictures I drew to explain the story of anaemia, an idea which I thought might make the information more memorable for students.  
kate mccormick
about 9 years ago
Preview

Open Fracture

Definition, classification system, initial management and evidence  
Zara Edwards
about 9 years ago
Preview

Suturing and Wound Management

Anisha Sukha FY1 doctor  
Anisha Sukha
over 8 years ago
Preview 300x212

Arterial Blood Gas Interpretation Made Easy

This poster offers a basic level of understanding of ABGs for medical students. I have also made an ID-card-sized version which can be easily used on the ward. Students can work around the table, looking at pH, then CO2 and then HCO3- and find the answer in the correct box.  
Jessi Muchmore
about 8 years ago
Preview

Femoral Nerve Block – A Guide for Medial Students and Junior Doctors.

I completed this article in collaboration with a senor registrar whilst studying as an undergraduate medical student in Dundee. This article outlines the proposed introduction of a technique that employs ultrasound to visualise the femoral nerve whilst performing a femoral nerve block. This procedure is performed on patients in both the emergency dept and surgical theatres. Traditionally this procedure has been performed using a 'blind technique' which has an increased association with side effects including inadvertent damage to local structures and systemic toxicity related to local anaesthetic. In the article we give a brief outline of both the the traditional and ultrasound guided techniques and allow readers to understand the benefits of using the proposed technique. We believe that this article will be of great interest to senior medical student and junior doctors who are interested in careers in emergency medicine and anaesthesia. This  
michael jamison
about 8 years ago
Preview 300x425

Arterial Schematic

The “Arterial Schematic” represents the intricate three-dimensional human arterial system in a highly simplified two-dimensional design reminiscent of the London Underground Map. Each “line” represents an artery within the body; a black circle marks a major vessel, whilst “stubs” stemming from the main lines represent the distal vasculature. The coloured “zones” represent the main divisions of the human body, for example; the yellow zone indicates the neck. The schematic was inspired by Henry Beck’s work on the first diagrammatic London Underground Map. His aim was to represent complex geographical distribution in a simple and accessible form. He achieved this aim by omitting swathes of information that had plagued previous designers’ versions. Beck’s approach was succinct yet produced a design that was immediately successful in clearly portraying to commuters how to traverse London most efficiently. The “Arterial Schematic” hopes to culminate this idea of communicating complex concepts in a concise manner, mirroring what is expected of medical professionals on a daily basis. The schematic is a prototype design intended to be part of a series of images that will diagrammatically represent the various systems of the human body. The prototype was inspired by a desire to teach anatomy via a fresh and engaging visual medium. Recent years have seen significant debate over reduced undergraduate anatomy teaching and its later consequences. The hope is that the “Arterial Schematic” and its sister diagrams will inspire students to learn anatomy and encourage them to further their knowledge via other sources. PLEASE NOTE: This image is available for purchase in print, please contact l.farmery1@gmail.com if interested. Please follow LFarmery on Twitter and considering sharing the Arterial Schematic on Facebook etc. Many Thanks.  
Dr. Luke Farmery
about 8 years ago
Preview 300x225

Immune Response Summary Diagram

This is a diagram I created to summarise the immune response, complete with friendly, loveable cartoon immune cells designed in an attempt to make what can be a very complicated and confusing subject seem a little less threatening. The students I taught the subject to loved the "cute" summary format and found immunology to be a much more approachable revision topic as a result! Since this image has been so popular with all you lovely people, I have also written a comprehensive article on the immune response - complete with lots of illustrations - which is available here on Geeky Medics: http://geekymedics.com/2014/07/02/immune-response/ Enjoy and good luck!  
Miss Laura Jayne Watson
about 8 years ago
Preview 300x247

Sepsis

Zoom in to the image to follow the branches and discover more about sepsis!  
Adrian Delport
about 8 years ago
Preview 300x212

Cranial Nerves - Anatomy, Clinical Signs and Study Tips

This is a teaching resource that aids the student in memorisation of the Cranial Nerves, their anatomical path and function. Additionally, it stimulates a clinical approach to the functions of the Cranial Nerves, with some 'not to be missed' signs.  
Thomas Lemon
about 8 years ago