New to Meducation?
Already signed up? Log In
A board by Tayyab Majani

first year anatomy

No Description
13 items · Last updated Wednesday 9th April 2014

Abdominal Ultrasound tutorial

A tutorial about how to read an abdominal ultrasound video. Produced to give medical students just a better idea of what to expect.  
Dr Alastair Buick
about 11 years ago
Preview 300x212

Antibiotics Summary

During our antibiotics teaching at medical school we were told that a recent survey of junior doctors had revealed that a significant proportion didn't realise that augmentin, tazocin, and carbopenems were penicillins and as such should not be given to those with known allergies. I devised a "mind-map" summarising the main antibiotics in use using information from the BNF and my own lecture notes. For me, seeing the information laid out in this manner, pinned above my desk as I work, helps me remember the major classes, their relationships with one another, and their major side-effects.  
bethan goulden
over 8 years ago
Img 000

The handy guide to anaemia

The handy guide comprises a series of 5 short videos explaining different aspects of anaemia. The videos show my hands displaying cardboard cut outs of pictures I drew to explain the story of anaemia, an idea which I thought might make the information more memorable for students.  
kate mccormick
over 8 years ago
Preview 300x425

Arterial Schematic

The “Arterial Schematic” represents the intricate three-dimensional human arterial system in a highly simplified two-dimensional design reminiscent of the London Underground Map. Each “line” represents an artery within the body; a black circle marks a major vessel, whilst “stubs” stemming from the main lines represent the distal vasculature. The coloured “zones” represent the main divisions of the human body, for example; the yellow zone indicates the neck. The schematic was inspired by Henry Beck’s work on the first diagrammatic London Underground Map. His aim was to represent complex geographical distribution in a simple and accessible form. He achieved this aim by omitting swathes of information that had plagued previous designers’ versions. Beck’s approach was succinct yet produced a design that was immediately successful in clearly portraying to commuters how to traverse London most efficiently. The “Arterial Schematic” hopes to culminate this idea of communicating complex concepts in a concise manner, mirroring what is expected of medical professionals on a daily basis. The schematic is a prototype design intended to be part of a series of images that will diagrammatically represent the various systems of the human body. The prototype was inspired by a desire to teach anatomy via a fresh and engaging visual medium. Recent years have seen significant debate over reduced undergraduate anatomy teaching and its later consequences. The hope is that the “Arterial Schematic” and its sister diagrams will inspire students to learn anatomy and encourage them to further their knowledge via other sources. PLEASE NOTE: This image is available for purchase in print, please contact l.farmery1@gmail.com if interested. Please follow LFarmery on Twitter and considering sharing the Arterial Schematic on Facebook etc. Many Thanks.  
Dr. Luke Farmery
over 7 years ago
Img0

Acute back pain Presentation

An overview of clinical back pain, looking at common aetiology and methods of avoiding reinjury.  
Thomas Lemon
over 7 years ago
Preview 300x421

Blood groups and Haemolytic Disease of the Newborn

A poster detailing Rhesus and ABO blood systems, and a brief outline of Haemolytic Disease of the Newborn.  
Thomas Lemon
over 7 years ago
Preview 300x212

Cranial Nerves - Anatomy, Clinical Signs and Study Tips

This is a teaching resource that aids the student in memorisation of the Cranial Nerves, their anatomical path and function. Additionally, it stimulates a clinical approach to the functions of the Cranial Nerves, with some 'not to be missed' signs.  
Thomas Lemon
over 7 years ago
Preview 300x425

Immune System Flowchart

This has been designed to show how the different components of the immune system develop individually and work together. I realised that a flowchart would be an excellent way to demonstrate this and was surprised to find that there wasn’t anything suitable on the internet that linked both the innate and adaptive systems. I know the diagram looks a bit dry but if you spend 5 minutes reading through it, I hope you'll find it useful. I'll hopefully add some images to make it more appealing at a later date. The flowchart is based on information from lectures and several textbooks and has proven to be an excellent tool for revision and in developing a foundational understanding of the immune system for many students.  
Jon Curtis
over 7 years ago
Preview

Endocrinology Notes

Document covering some key aspects of endocrinology  
James Davis
over 7 years ago
Preview

Respiratory Notes

Document covering some key aspects of respiratory  
James Davis
over 7 years ago

Tissue Identification.m4v

I'm studying the different tissues in my anatomy & physiology class this summer so I put together this slide show to run in a loop on my tv to help me learn to identify the slides. The slides include epithelial tissues, connective tissues, cartilage tissues, osseous tissue and blood.  
Nicole Chalmers
almost 6 years ago
Preview

Cardiac arrhythmias

Includes description, symptoms and an ECG rhythm strip typical of that arrhythmia.  
Laura R Barry
over 5 years ago
86395142f2bf336d5a4a17250a017e4e4bcb2ff46634031304427712

The Vein Viewer Reveals Vessel Structure & Blood Flow

The VeinViewer uses near-infrared light to detect vessels and blood up to 10mm beneath the surface, and projects a picture onto the skin to reveal vessel structure and blood flow in real time.  
Nicole Chalmers
over 5 years ago