New to Meducation?
Already signed up?
Add To Boards
Allergy – Inappropriate immune response to normally harmless allergen. Allergen – Foreign particles which produce an IgE-mediated hypersensitivity reaction in sensitive individuals.
Help by adding tags...
Write a Comment
Sign in and join the discussion
Allergies and anaphylaxis
- This session was designed to teach first year medical students about allergies and the basic medical management of anaphylaxis. The session was student led with a tutor in the audience to help prov...
Choosing a Specialty
- Remember when you were doing uni applications, and had to deal with the same handful of questions from people you bumped into…
- The pathophysiology of different hypersensitivity reactions.
- Eczema (aka Dermatitis) presents as a poorly demarcated, itchy rash. There are several causes. By far the most common is atopic eczema, but irritants and venous stasis can also cause the condition....
- Inhaled corticosteroids These are used for their anti-inflammatory effects in asthma. They are very effective in asthma, but are of limited use in COPD. Mechanism If you want lots of info on ste...
- Whooping Cough (aka Pertussis) This is a type of bronchiolitis, caused by the bacterium Bordetella Pertussis. It is highly infectious, and can be deadly. It causes roughly around 300 000 deaths wor...