New to Meducation?
Already signed up?
Add To Boards
Old blood as good as fresh in patients with life threatening illnesses
Just like milk and many other foods, blood used for transfusions is perishable.
Help by adding tags...
Write a Comment
Sign in and join the discussion
Blood Conservation in the ICU
- When should a patient receive a transfuse of blood? What is an acceptable hemoglobin concentration in an ICU patient and should we use EPO? Summer is a time when the blood banks often h...
A medical mystery for Mother's Day...
- I'd like to tell you a curious story. Jane was a 52 year old woman in need of a kidney transplant. Thankfully she had three loving sons who were all very happy to give her one of theirs. So Jane's ...
Internal medicine on Instagram: “Peripheral blood smear from a patient with a microangiopathic hemolytic anemia with marked red cell fragmentation. The smear shows multiple…”
- “Peripheral blood smear from a patient with a microangiopathic hemolytic anemia with marked red cell fragmentation. The smear shows multiple helmet cells…”
Videos help seriously ill patients outline their end-of-life wishes
- Using visual material as an educational tool can improve patient-centered careMost seriously ill elderly people who view video material about the pros and cons of...
Steroid therapy increases risk of blood clots 5-fold in IBD patients
- Compared with biologic therapy, corticosteroid (steroid) use is associated with a nearly five-fold increase of venous thromboembolism in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) patients, according to a...
Acute back pain Presentation
- An overview of clinical back pain, looking at common aetiology and methods of avoiding reinjury.