New to Meducation?
Already signed up? Log In
A board by Jean Rodini

Inflammation, Infection, and Wound Healing

No Description
19 items · Last updated Tuesday 5th May 2015
Preview 300x212

Antibiotics Summary

During our antibiotics teaching at medical school we were told that a recent survey of junior doctors had revealed that a significant proportion didn't realise that augmentin, tazocin, and carbopenems were penicillins and as such should not be given to those with known allergies. I devised a "mind-map" summarising the main antibiotics in use using information from the BNF and my own lecture notes. For me, seeing the information laid out in this manner, pinned above my desk as I work, helps me remember the major classes, their relationships with one another, and their major side-effects.  
bethan goulden
almost 10 years ago
Preview 300x425

Immune System Flowchart

This has been designed to show how the different components of the immune system develop individually and work together. I realised that a flowchart would be an excellent way to demonstrate this and was surprised to find that there wasn’t anything suitable on the internet that linked both the innate and adaptive systems. I know the diagram looks a bit dry but if you spend 5 minutes reading through it, I hope you'll find it useful. I'll hopefully add some images to make it more appealing at a later date. The flowchart is based on information from lectures and several textbooks and has proven to be an excellent tool for revision and in developing a foundational understanding of the immune system for many students.  
Jon Curtis
over 8 years ago
Preview

Gram negative bacilli

GRAM  –ve  Bacteria:  BACILLI     ENTEROBACTERIACEAE  ‘Coliforms’   BACTERIA   Salmonella   Escherichia   Campylobacter   S.enterica  …  
Sarah West
almost 8 years ago
Preview

Gram positive bacilli

GRAM  +ve  Bacteria:  BACILLI     SPORE  FORMERS   NON-­‐SPORE  FORMERS   BACTERIA   Clostridium   Bacillis   Listeria   Erysipeloth…  
Sarah West
almost 8 years ago
Preview

Antibiotics

A blog post to help first year medical student remember those pesky antibiotics!  
Mrs Malaika Smith
about 7 years ago
Preview 300x220

Bacteria Mind Map

Julia Marr
about 7 years ago
7c22e2d445978f7fb370dcb57c3db47f984b5d1d9093653857890808

Antibiotics Mindmap

A concise mindmap detailing everything you really need to know about antibiotic action!  
Julia Marr
about 7 years ago
Preview

Antibiotic therapy

A guide to classes of antibiotics, how antibiotics work against bacteria and mechanisms of bacterial resistance.  
Rafi Ahmed
almost 7 years ago
Preview

Antiepileptics Study Notes

Review of Anti Epileptics.  
Angela Li Ching Ng
about 6 years ago
Preview

Infectious Diseases EMQ

Infectious Diseases Emq - Download as PDF File (.pdf).  
Scribd
about 7 years ago
Preview

Gram Negative Bacteria

Infographic showing classification of Gram Negative Bacteria  
almostadoctor.com - free medical student revision notes
almost 7 years ago
Preview

Gram Positive Bacteria

Infographic showing Classification of Gram Positive Bacteria  
almostadoctor.com - free medical student revision notes
almost 7 years ago
Preview

ANTIBIOTICS-PHARMD MNEMONIC ~ Revolution PharmD

PharmD website  
revolutionpharmd.com
almost 7 years ago
Foo20151013 2023 m4u3lk?1444774141

I can't get my head around pharmacology

Maybe it’s just me, but I cannot get my head around pharmacology and antibiotics are certainly doing their best to finish me off! My group at uni decided that this was one area that we needed to revise, and the task fell on my hands to provide the material for a revision session. So, the night before the session I began to panic about how to come up with any useful tips for my group, or indeed anyone at all, to try to remember anything useful about antibiotics at all. If only Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin was a real drug, it would make our lives so much easier. Come on Adam Kay and Suman Biswas, get the trials started and create your wonderful super drug. For the mean time I guess I will just have to keep blissfully singing along to your song. However, that is not going to help me with my task in hand. After a lot of research that even took me beyond the realms of Wikipedia (something I do not often like to do), I found various sources suggesting remembering these Top 10 Rules (and their exceptions) All cell wall inhibitors are ?-lactams (except vancomycin) All penicillins are water soluble (nafcillin) All protein synthesis inhibitors are bacteriostatic (aminoglycosides) All cocci are Gram positive (Neisseria spp.) All bacilli are Gram negative (anthrax, tetanus, botulism, diptheria) All spirochetes are Gram negative Tetracyclines and macrolides are used for intracellular bacteria Pregnant women should not take tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, fluroquinolones, or sulfonamides Antibiotics beginning with a ‘C’ are particularly associated with pseudomembranous colitis While the penicillins are the most famous for causing allergies, people may also react to cephalosporins If those work for you, then I guess you can stop reading now… If they don’t, I can’t promise that I have anything better, but give these other tips that I found a whirl… Alternatively, I have created a Page on my own blog called Rang and Dale’s answer to Antibiotics, which summarises their information, so please take a look at that. Most people will suggest that you can categorise antibiotics in three ways, and it’s best to pick one and learn examples of them. Mode of action: bactericidal (kill) bacteriostatic (stop multiplying) 2 mnemonics to potentially help you remember examples: We’re ECSTaTiC about bacteriostatics? Erythromycin Clindamycin Sulphonamides Tetracyclines Trimethoprim Chloramphenicol Very Finely Proficient At Cell Murder (bactericidal) - Vancomycin Fluroquinolones Penicillins Aminoglycosides Cephalosporins Metranidazole Spectrum of activity: broad-spectrum (gram positive AND negative) narrow (gram positive OR negative) Mechanism of action Inhibit cell wall synthesis Inhibit nucleic acid synthesis Inhibit protein synthesis Inhibit cell membrane synthesis If you have any more weird and wonderful ways to remember antibiotics, let me know and I will add them! As always, thank you for reading.  
Mrs Malaika Smith
about 7 years ago
E1318ba981354b9c2c50f9087ffa7bc99768872b03563460325255674

Immunology principles mindmap

A mindmap of some key principles of immunology I made for revision purposes. Nothing too complicated (hopefully)!  
Rafi Ahmed
almost 6 years ago
Cfd2e371ff69ee30497aab8712168b9941e69e65592577899768066

Antibiotics summary

Classifications of antibiotics - a useful summary. The Table is no way complete. Kindly Ignore Spelling mistakes Checkout mynotes4usmle.tumblr.com for more  
Sarosh Kamal
almost 6 years ago